Monday, September 16, 2013

Dreams after having a Preemie

I belong to a parents and friends of preemies group and one of the girls had a dream dealing with being pregnant and having a healthy full term baby and being able to breastfeed.  She thought it was her mind saying it's ready for another baby.  That maybe the case but to me, it sounded like she was dreaming about what she hopes happens with her next pregnancy, what could happen or how she wished her old pregnancy went. 
When I had just had my daughter, I had multiple dreams about her having a twin sister they missed who was born healthy on the due date.  Unfortunately, she disappeared and I only had the healthy baby.  I was afraid it meant I was going to lose her but now, as she's getting older, she's no longer as sick and since she came home from the hospital, she's a new baby.  The dream was my subconscious telling me she'd be ok and her twin was who she is going to grow into. 
Dreams about healthy, full term babies when you give birth to a preemie or a sick baby is common.  A lot of it is insecurity and some is out of sadness or even depression.  Sometimes, it deals with your mind trying to comfort you and even show you how the baby is going to turn out.  I saw a dying, decayed baby coming at me with it's hand out reaching out to me asking me for help for a long time as a guilt induced hallucination for a long time after she was born before we knew for a fact she would be fine and grow out of her health problems.  Guilt is usually the biggest factor behind a lot of post NICU baby dreams, along with hopeful thoughts about future kids and scenarios your mind plays of healthy full term babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment